Martin McElhatton CEO of WheelPower
Chief Executive Martin McElhatton O.B.E explains what WheelPower is.
How WheelPower has coped and adapted during the pandemic.
How did WheelPower adapt during the lockdowns.
The Heritage and History behind WheelPower and the Paralympics.
The history of being the Birthplace of the Paralympics.
Events and Programmes of WheelPower
Loads of major fundraising events and sporting events are organised by WheelPower at Stoke Mandeville Stadium.
Chris Rattenbury is a WheelPower Ambassador.
Chris is a WheelPower Ambassador, visiting schools and promoting all that is done and its heritage.
Andy White works for WheelPower and plays Wheelchair Basketball.
Andy took the opportunity at an early age to try out wheelchair sports at stoke Mandeville Stadium and currently plays for the local Wheelchair Basketball Club, Aces.
Paralympic Heritage Flame Lighting Ceremony 2022
On Monday 28th February, guests including the Minister for Disabled People and the Chinese Ambassador for the United Kingdom witnessed the Paralympic Heritage Flame Lighting Ceremony 2022 at Stoke Mandeville Stadium, the Birthplace of the Paralympics.
Join Team WheelPower for the 2022 Ride London-Essex 100
The world’s greatest festival of cycling returns on Sunday 29 May 2022 and WheelPower has guaranteed places available.
Bucks Radio Tour de Vale
Join us to turn pedal power into funds for WheelPower, the national charity for wheel chair sport, and support them to transform more disabled people's lives through sport and physical activity.
10 Things You Need to Know about WheelPower
1. WheelPower is the national charity for Wheelchair Sport in the United Kingdom.
2. WheelPower supports disabled people of all ages and abilities to achieve, enjoy and fulfil their potential through sport & physical activity.
3. The charity’s history dates back over 70 years and to the pioneering work of Professor Sir Ludwig Guttmann at Stoke Mandeville Hospital who encouraged injured soldiers returning from WWII to take part in wheelchair sports as part of their rehabilitation.
4. WheelPower flagship sports events include the annual National Junior Games and the Inter Spinal Unit Games. Together they provide young disabled people and newly injured adults the opportunity to take part in a variety of sports. Past attendees include Ade Adepitan, Samantha Kinghorn, Alfie Hewett, David Weir
and Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson to name a few!
5. WheelPower needs to raise £1,000,000 per year to continue their life changing work.
6. The royal patron is HRH The Prince of Wales.
7.The CEO Martin McElhatton is a former Paralympian who represented GB at the 1984 Games in Wheelchair Basketball. In 2020 he collected an OBE for services to disability sport.
8. During the Covid-19 pandemic our WheelPower Workouts have been watched over 50,000 times by disabled people across the world.
9. WheelPower has gifted over 750 sets of resistance bands to disabled people across the UK to help them to stay active from their homes.
10. The Tour de Vale Charity Bike Ride has been taking place since 2003 and has raised over £840,000 for WheelPower, supporting disabled people to lead healthier and more active lives.
Find out more about WheelPower by visiting their website
Chiltern MS Centre
By providing the treatment, tools, knowledge and a community of health professionals and peers, we empower people living with multiple sclerosis to thrive.
Against Breast Cancer
Against Breast Cancer funds pioneering research into new treatments, tools for earlier diagnosis and advice to reduce the risk of recurrence and secondary spread.
Based at Manor Farm in North Marston, Animal Antiks has an aim to always help support and create a diverse group of people with various needs, provide a safe and calm environment in which each individual can learn and grow.
Calibre Audio believe that everyone deserves to lose themselves in a good book and their audiobook services can be accessed to suit every individual's needs.
WheelPower is the national charity for Wheelchair Sport in the United Kingdom. Based at the birthplace of the Paralympics in Stoke Mandeville.
Hearing Dogs For Deaf People
Hearing Dogs For Deaf People train dogs to alert deaf people to important and life-saving sounds they would otherwise miss.
Adviza is a charity for all young people and adults to help them make better decisions that enable them to progress in learning and work and achieve their full potential, in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire.
BucksVision is the local charity supporting people with sight loss across Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes. They offer a wide range of services delivered by our small, dedicated staff team and fantastic team of volunteers working across the area.
Bucks Radio Toy Appeal
The Bucks Radio Toy Appeal is over, and we want to say a massive THANK YOU to everyone who has donated.
Nightingale’s Rainbow is being built on the site of Stoke Mandeville Hospital to celebrate the resilience and community spirit of Buckinghamshire through the Covid-19 pandemic.
The MPS Society provides support to families affected by rare genetic conditions. They raise money and awareness of these conditions through fundraising, information, research and support.
Heart of Bucks
Heart of Bucks is the community foundation for Buckinghamshire; a funding organisation awarding grants and loans to support essential local charities and community groups.
Apply to become Charity of the Month
Bucks Radio will be promoting and highlighting a different LOCAL Charity or non profit organisation, or indeed a National charity based in the County every month. Its could be you next month.
Previous Charities promoted on Bucks Radio
Over 2021 Bucks Radio have promoted a number of local charities via our news bulletins and in our Breakfast Show.