Hearing Dogs for Deaf People
Based at the Grange, Wycombe Road, Saunderton, Princes Risborough
- The cost to train and support each hearing dog throughout their lifetime is £40,000
- They train dogs to alert deaf people to important and life-saving sounds they would otherwise miss – sounds that many people take for granted like the doorbell, alarm clock and even danger signals like the fire alarm. Being aware of these – thanks to a hearing dog – makes a real difference to deaf people’s lives, and can even save them.
- Deafness can be a very isolating disability. A hearing dog can give a deaf person a newfound sense of independence and confidence now they have a loyal companion and a true friend by their side.
- Hearing dogs have saved countless lives in their important role; fire alarms sounding at the dead of night, alerting them to the shouts of a loved one who is in peril,
- A hearing dog and their deaf partner need to be carefully matched to ensure the partnership will work well. So many little things need to be taken into consideration – for example, we wouldn’t match a bouncy, bubbly Labrador with a 70-year-old lady with mobility problems. But that Labrador would make a great companion for a fit 35-year-old who loves going out jogging every morning.
- In 2020-21 their services supported 3,263 deaf individuals and their family members and supported 962 hearing dog partnerships and provided a range of other personalised services.
Watch our interviews with Head of Marketing David Robson and Darcy Power one of Hearing Dogs for Deaf Peoples dog trainers and instructors.
Chiltern MS Centre
By providing the treatment, tools, knowledge and a community of health professionals and peers, we empower people living with multiple sclerosis to thrive.
Calibre Audio believe that everyone deserves to lose themselves in a good book and their audiobook services can be accessed to suit every individual's needs.
WheelPower is the national charity for Wheelchair Sport in the United Kingdom. Based at the birthplace of the Paralympics in Stoke Mandeville.
Hearing Dogs For Deaf People
Hearing Dogs For Deaf People train dogs to alert deaf people to important and life-saving sounds they would otherwise miss.
Bucks Radio Toy Appeal
The Bucks Radio Toy Appeal is over, and we want to say a massive THANK YOU to everyone who has donated.
Nightingale’s Rainbow is being built on the site of Stoke Mandeville Hospital to celebrate the resilience and community spirit of Buckinghamshire through the Covid-19 pandemic.
Heart of Bucks
Heart of Bucks is the community foundation for Buckinghamshire; a funding organisation awarding grants and loans to support essential local charities and community groups.
Apply to become Charity of the Month
Bucks Radio will be promoting and highlighting a different LOCAL Charity or non profit organisation, or indeed a National charity based in the County every month. Its could be you next month.
Previous Charities promoted on Bucks Radio
Over 2021 Bucks Radio have promoted a number of local charities via our news bulletins and in our Breakfast Show.