Buckinghamshire Council has said it aims to save £41.3 million this year and that it is asking residents how taxes should be spent.
Council leader Martin Tett confirmed the savings target this week, explaining that the unitary authority had already saved £75.4 million in its first four years and that budget setting has become ‘extremely difficult for all councils’.
He said: “This means we’ve taken more than £100 million out of our budgets over the first five years as a council to deliver efficiencies and to pay for key services for our most vulnerable residents.
“The cost of providing these services – namely social care, temporary housing and providing school transport for children who need it – eats up around 71 per cent of our entire budget, leaving us with less than 30 per cent of our expenditure available to pay for everything else that we do.
“Therefore, it’s never been more crucial for our residents to tell us where they want their money spent – please let your friends and family know too that they can have a say.”
Cllr Tett made the comments as the council announced a new public consultation on how residents want their council tax to be spent, which closes on October 13.
Council tax is the main way that local council services are funded – from bin collections to road repairs to looking after adults and children who need care.
The council’s ‘Money Matters’ survey takes around 10 minutes to complete and is available here: https://yourvoicebucks.citizenspace.com/corporate-services/budget-2025-26/
As pupils across Buckinghamshire get ready to return to school this week, Buckinghamshire Council is encouraging parents and carers to explore the support available to help children attend school regularly.
The initiative, between Thames Valley Police and Buckinghamshire Council, aims to tackle anti-social behaviour and criminality in town centres across Bucks.
One of Buckinghamshire’s largest planned housing developments is set to move forward after years of delays, as the government confirmed Hampden Fields in Aylesbury will be among the first sites targeted by its New Homes Accelerator programme.
Buckinghamshire Council has secured the money from the Environment Agency to deliver two flood management feasibility studies and a natural flood management project running until 2027/28.
The Leader of Buckinghamshire Council has spoken after inaccurate reports on social media suggested buildings in the town could be used to house asylum seekers.
Buckinghamshire Council, in collaboration with Homes England and Fairhive Homes, has announced the launch of a newly developed housing scheme in Aylesbury. It aims to provide move-on accommodation for former rough sleepers, offering them the support they need to transition into permanent, settled homes.
Schools across Buckinghamshire are celebrating an exceptional set of GCSE and Level 2 results today, as students, families, and staff gathered to mark the culmination of five years of hard work, determination, and resilience.